The Zentangle Method is contagious and the trend continues to expand on social media!
20 Best Principles of Zentangle Success
Zentangle allows anyone to quickly create black-and-white illustrations that are beautiful abstract or semi-abstract graphic doodles. If you’re interested, I have explained the origins of the Zentangle in the following article: Zentangle Art: History & Concept
You will need:
- Thick paper tiles, “Velin” quality. These tiles can be white, black or brown kraft. Personally I quite like the sets of ready to use tiles from MICRON SAKURA.
- Depending on the colour of the tile, I use an ink pen of different a colour (black, white, sepia).
- I settle in a quiet place.
GOOD TO KNOW – The tiles have hand-cut edges and rounded corners to enhance the overall appearance of the mosaic.
Get Started with Zentangle®:
- For your first try, you can use a graphite pencil to place your first layers before you’re confident enough to use black pen.
- I draw a straight or curvy line.
- I continue by repeatedly circling my shape. Any drawing started has to be finished (5 to 20 minutes). We do not return to a Zentangle.
- When I have several tiles finished, I organize them into mosaics.
GOOD TO KNOW – “Mistakes” are different starting points for creating a new pattern. Do not erase to start again.
20 Best Principles of Zentangle®:
- choose a quiet place to “zentangle”
- easy-to-learn, relaxing, and a fun way to create beautiful images
- work on small paper tiles (3.5 inch side) or in a Zentangle journal
- create on square tiles, triangles “3Z” tiles or circular “Zendalas” tiles
- try pencil to place dots, strings, or light touchs
- try a Molotow, Pigma Micron Sakura or Pitt Faber-Castell black pen
- Choose thin and strong tips B, S, M to trace and soft brush tips to colour
- draw two-colour patterns composed of straight or curvy lines
- design abstract or semi-abstract drawings spontaneously
- draw lines and borders and avoid using an eraser
- Avoid the rule only to draw the tile before cutting if you use a large piece of paper
- practise a freehand pattern repeatedly
- no predefined reading direction
- create an “all-over” or white edge around zentangle
- remember to let go, do not expect a particular final result
- Put your initials on the front of the paper tile and on the other side, sign and date
- create mosaics with multiple finished tiles
- appreciate the feelings of gratitude, appreciation and the good feeling of artistic success
- helps to unlock creativity
- access an advanced meditative state
These products are currently available at GreatArt Online or in the art supply shop in London Shoreditch..
GOOD TO KNOW – On social networks, there is a beautiful community associated with Zentangle, do not hesitate to join the “Zentangle Lovers” if need advice or inspiration.
Inspirations and examples:
GREAT TO KNOW – Find all Amylee’s posts published in GreatArt online Magazine by clicking here!
GreatArt – your art superstore
Art supplies, ideas and advice for all techniques.
GreatArt offers you art supplies for all techniques from:
- traditional fine art painting,
- graphic art,
- model making…
We offer an extensive range of stretched canvas and display products for exhibition, all the art supplies required to create your own bespoke canvases, as well as custom framing and mounting services from GreatArt Store. You’ll also find hundreds of articles and tutorials to browse in the online magazine.