Amylee Paris has been getting to grips with the new Liquitex Acrylic Gouache!
Do you want to start painting? Your heart swings between ink, watercolour, acrylic and gouache. Why not simplify your choice with acrylic gouache, the ready-to-use fluid paint?
Water-based, versatile, the acrylic gouache combines the flexibility of acrylic with the opacity of gouache.
What’s the difference between a classic gouache and a new generation acrylic gouache paint?
Traditional gouache (made with gum arabic) can be reactivated with water even when completely dry, while the new generation gouache (made with acrylic binder) is waterproof when dry, so you can over paint without smearing, and the matte finish gives a velvety surface.
This paint is ideal for beginners, professionals, hobby painters, fashion designers, architects and students alike.
Liquitex Acrylic Gouache Paint
1/ Vivid colours and bright tones
- Pure pigment colours (available in primary, fluorescent, and cadmium free)
- Smooth, creamy and odourless texture
- Ultra-fine pigments mixed with a flexible acrylic binder
- Completely water resistant once dry
- Fast drying paint, good opacity with velvety matte finish
- High quality ensuring your work is durable and age resistant.
- Paint film is flexible and does not crack, it also leaves no brush marks
- Possible techniques: uniform flat areas, watercolour effects (by adding a little water), layer overlays (for beautiful flower petals), mixed media (pastels, pencils, markers, acrylic or watercolour paints), digitalization of colours (super results for scans).
- Tools washable with water & soap
2/ Chameleon jar
I can already hear your question tickling my ear. What a strange definition for a jar? Why is it called that? Because like the chameleon, this little jar adapts to its environment. As everyone knows, art tools have a very hard life in our studio!
Designed in collaboration with artists, this jar simplifies our gesture in all creative process.
- Solid jar made of plastic (and as a result resistant to breaking if it falls)
- Two possible openings: 1 / a nozzle tip to facilitate line or drop applications. 2 / a cap to unscrew and turn the jar into an inkwell.
- Soft-body jar (allowing you to squeeze it and control the flow of paint)
- Easily stackable (therefore saving space)
- Reusable and recyclable (therefore good for the planet)
Working with Acrylic Gouache
Like watercolour, gouache paint requires good tools. You will need:
SOFT BRUSHES to make beautiful lines that do not leave hairs in your colours. Make sure you include:
- a flat brush for backgrounds and effects.
- a fine brush for lines and small details.
- a medium brush.
THICK PAPERS to avoid warping from moisture (from 160gsm to 350gsm). Try these varieties:
- Fine grain paper: recommended for all types of techniques.
- Satin grain paper: especially for detailed work.
- Rough paper: interesting for textured backgrounds.
Amylee’s Top Tip💡
“Acrylic gouache paint can also be used on cardboard, canvas, canvas board or wood panel. With unprimed canvas, before working I apply 1 or 2 layers of gesso to avoid the rapid absorption of colours.”
“I apply a little bit of paint on the top of my cap because it allows me to easily see my colours once stored in their box.”
Also did you know? “The acrylic gouache paint gives beautiful results on black paper. Feel free to change the colour of your paper!”
Want to try other acrylic variations? Have you tried Pebeo MAT Pub?
The passion of Amylee Paris, professional painter, artist guide, consultant, and author of amylee.fr is to share her art between galleries, collectors and her community. Beyond her pictorial skills, her numerous articles published online or on paper, Amylee is also recognized as one of the most influential Francophone entrepreneur artists. She helps amateur or professional artists to optimize the development of their artistic activity.
GreatArt – your art superstore
Art supplies, ideas and advice for all techniques.
GreatArt offers you art supplies for all techniques from:
- traditional fine art painting,
- graphic art,
- model making…
We offer an extensive range of stretched canvas and display products for exhibition, all the art supplies required to create your own bespoke canvases, as well as custom framing and mounting services from GreatArt Store. You’ll also find hundreds of articles and tutorials to browse in the online magazine.