Amylee’s fun and Creative tip for Markers
I had a pen cap on my desk so I then started using it to carve the tip to create a new one. Wow, it’s crazy, now when I draw…it changes everything! I can draw original or multiple lines in a single gesture. A very useful tip for hand lettering or graffiti!
Here is my step by step guide.
- Level: Easy
- Prep time: 1 min
- Paint marker: acrylic
1/ Materials you will need
- Liquitex Paint Marker Set with broad tips.
- Sharp tools for carving the foam tip (screwerdriver, fork, metal ruler…)
Most of these products are currently available at GreatArt Online or in their art supply shop in London Shoreditch.
2/ How to use it?
The idea way is to work with brand new markers to avoid getting paint on your fingers (otherwise use latex gloves).
- Take your marker and pull the rectangular tip out of the plastic body.
- hold the small block of foam between your fingers and with the other hand use your tools to carve the tip.
- The foam is difficult to cut, the texture can cause it to fray. So, to carve it, DO NOT remove or cut the foam, instead compress it to reshape it.
- Press on the sides or in the middle of the rectangular shape, enjoy creating a new toothed shape.
- Take the marker and put the tip back in its place.
- Now, you can start drawing, after pumping up and down on the tip.
Did you know? The tip of big markers is easily removed. There are 2 usable sides A and B. I keep one rectangular side and I shape the other so and I can switch them according to my needs.
GREAT TO KNOW – to avoid damaging my freshly formed tip, I start my marker with the tool held under the foam tip. Once the tip is soaked with colour I can then use my marker properly.
After use, the paint in the foam will dry slightly and help maintain the toothed shape.
3/ Some samples from Amylee’s studio…
You wish you had illustrated examples? Here we go, just for you!
Find all Amylee’s posts published in GreatArt online Magazine by clicking here!
GreatArt – your art superstore
Art supplies, ideas and advice for all techniques.
GreatArt offers you art supplies for all techniques from:
- traditional fine art painting,
- graphic art,
- model making…
We offer an extensive range of stretched canvas and display products for exhibition, all the art supplies required to create your own bespoke canvases, as well as custom framing and mounting services from GreatArt Store. You’ll also find hundreds of articles and tutorials to browse in the online magazine.