What’s inside Amylee’s Marker Pouch?
When you start an illustration class, a long journey or simply have the desire to have a small mobile studio in the bottom of your bag, this list will help you to identify the best material to use for drawing, colouring and creating.
Most markers listed here can be found individually. A good way to check their suitability in the studio before buying a whole set. You can create your own “palette of markers” by choosing different brands available on the market.
You will certainly have favourite pens and colours. For me, it’s PIGMENT MARKER bright yellow, TOMBOW blush pink, I LOVE ART green anise A22 and ECOLINE turquoise (called green blue).
1/ FOR SKETCHES
(Quick Drawing) doodles, story board
- 1 graphite pencil (HB & B tips)
- 1 soft eraser (that is gentle on paper)
- 1 blue pencil (optional just for Comic Strip lovers)
2/ FOR OUTLINES
(Indian ink & grey) outlines, dots, drawings
3/ FOR COLOURS
(Alcohol-based) permanent ink, colouring
- I LOVE ART twin marker (the basics)
- WINSOR & NEWTON Promarker and Brushmarker (the multi-purpose)
- WINSOR & NEWTON Pigment Marker (the vivid)
4/ FOR WATERCOLOURS
(Water-based) can be diluted, gradients, calligraphy
- TOMBOW dual brush pen
- ROYAL TALENS ECOLINE brush pen
- WINSOR & NEWTON Watercolour marker (double tips : medium/brush)
5/ FOR WHITE HIGHLIGHTS
(Acrylic-based) high covering paint
- POSCA marker (available in different tips, I like to have fine, medium, chisel and large tips)
- LIQUITEX paint marker
- MOLOTOW marker
6/ THE ASTOUNDING
(wow effects) metallic or glitter ink
- MOLOTOW liquid chrome marker (as if it were metal with “mirror effect”, use on non-absorbent surfaces)
- EDDING metallic colour pen
- MOLOTOW masking pen (stencil effects or to protect areas of your watercolours & sketches)
WHAT WOULD YOU CHOOSE FOR YOUR POUCH?
I prefer it soft, quite wide and always transparent. It’s easier to find the colours like that. You can find a great one in the make-up departments. The mesh-bags are also really practical!
There are also marker cases available, but if like me you work with different types of markers you will have several sizes and diameters as well. Your marker range may not match with the securing spaces available in these kinds of case.
- Most of these products are currently available at GreatArt Onlineor in their art supply shop in London Shoreditch.
Hey, I hear you say to me: “What about paper, how do I choose?”I think that’s enough for now, long lists are always quite boring. I will write a post really soon on this topic. Let’s stay connected!
Information for this article was provided by professional fine artist, Amylee Paris. You can visit her colourful portfolio or follow her on Facebook and Instagram.
GREAT TO KNOW – Find all Amylee’s posts published in GreatArt online Magazine by clicking here!
Follow GreatArt Magazine on:
GreatArt, your art superstore
We offer the UK’s largest range of art supplies with over 60,000 materials available online, and an 8,500 square foot store in Shoreditch, Hackney, London. Our range includes painting supplies, drawing supplies, canvases, papers, easels, craft supplies and more…
GreatArt offers a wider choice from your favourite art brands, and quality affordable supplies from their very own I Love Art brand. With GreatArt, you have the choice you deserve for your art supplies, with low prices every day!