A new DIY from Amylee Paris!
Today, Amylee will be exploring portraits with string gel.
“Colourless and odourless and the consistency of honey, this gel is often used in the abstract technique of dripping, so allows for many possibilities. Here is a very different one.
I assure you with this mini tutorial, this gel will not give you any trouble. You will quickly learn to play like a pro!”
- Level: easy
- Prep time: 5 min
- Creative process: 5 min
- Technique: acrylic ink
- Clean up: soap and water
The materials you will need:
- Liquitex string gel medium
- 1 acrylic ink bottle or indian ink bottle
- Clairefontaine Acrylic Special Paper
- a plastic cup
- 1 wooden spatula
- adhesive tape (transparent or masking)
This material is currently available at GreatArt Online and can be ordered to collect from their art supply shop in London Shoreditch or delivered to your home.
Let’s go: follow the steps
- Cut the cup in half.
- In the bottom, pour some string gel (around one third of the glass and add 2 or 3 pipettes of coloured ink.
- Stir gently to get a homogeneous mixture.
- Using adhesive tape, stick both sides of the glass to make an Aladdin’s lamp shape (see tip below).
- And here you are, ready to draw. Take a sheet of paper and release your creativity!
Amylee’s super tip
Over time, I learned how to improve my tools for the string gel. I make a small spout with the plastic cup, scissors and tape. A very easy tool to make the string gel more manageable.
And it woooorks!
Do you know Alexander Calder, the sculptor who drew with wire in the 30’s?
Well today, he is our source of inspiration to achieve great portraits!
Did you know?
- A large format surface is recommended for a more fluid and ample gesture.
- Excellent technique for working with spontaneity, and letting go
- Facilitates the synthesis of shapes with speed of execution
- Works with just one string like a wire
- No possibility of editing, so you will have to get on with it!
Find all Amylee’s posts published in GreatArt online Magazine by clicking here!
GreatArt – your art superstore
Art supplies, ideas and advice for all techniques.
GreatArt offers you art supplies for all techniques from:
- traditional fine art painting,
- graphic art,
- model making…
We offer an extensive range of stretched canvas and display products for exhibition, all the art supplies required to create your own bespoke canvases, as well as custom framing and mounting services from GreatArt Store. You’ll also find hundreds of articles and tutorials to browse in the online magazine.