A new DIY from Amylee Paris!
Today, Amylee will be exploring portraits with string gel.
“Colourless and odourless and the consistency of honey, this gel is often used in the abstract technique of dripping, so allows for many possibilities. Here is a very different one.
I assure you with this mini tutorial, this gel will not give you any trouble. You will quickly learn to play like a pro!”
PREP TIME: 5 min
CREATIVE PROCESS: 5 min
TECHNIQUE: acrylic ink
CLEAN UP: soap and water
You will need :
- Liquitex string gel medium
- 1 acrylic ink bottle or indian ink bottle
- Clairefontaine Acrylic Special Paper
- 1 plastic cup
- 1 wooden spatula
- adhesive tape (transparent or masking)
This material is currently available at GreatArt Online and can be ordered to collect from their art supply shop in London Shoreditch or delivered to your home.
Let’s go !
- Cut the cup in half.
- In the bottom, pour some string gel (around one third of the glass and add 2 or 3 pipettes of coloured ink.
- Stir gently to get a homogeneous mixture.
- Using adhesive tape, stick both sides of the glass to make an Aladdin’s lamp shape (see tip below).
- And here you are, ready to draw. Take a sheet of paper and release your creativity!
💡 My super tip
Over time, I learned how to improve my tools for the string gel. I make a small spout with the plastic cup, scissors and tape. A very easy tool to make the string gel more manageable.
And it woooorks!
Do you know Alexander Calder, the sculptor who drew with wire in the 30’s?
Well today, he is our source of inspiration to achieve great portraits!
Good to know:
- A large format surface is recommended for a more fluid and ample gesture.
- Excellent technique for working with spontaneity, and letting go
- Facilitates the synthesis of shapes with speed of execution
- Works with just one string like a wire
- No possibility of editing, so you will have to get on with it!
GREAT TO KNOW – Find all Amylee’s articles published in GreatArt online Magazine by clicking here!
Follow GreatArt Magazine on:
GreatArt, your art superstore
We offer the UK’s largest range of art supplies with over 60,000 materials available online, and an 8,500 square foot store in Shoreditch, Hackney, London. Our range includes painting supplies, drawing supplies, canvases, papers, easels, craft supplies and more…
GreatArt offers a wider choice from your favourite art brands, and quality affordable supplies from their very own I Love Art brand. With GreatArt, you have the choice you deserve for your art supplies, with low prices every day!