Biyomap Art Protection Sleeves
Lately I had good nose in my shopping. As Cyrano: says “It’s a cover … it’s useful… it’s a bag! What do I say, it’s a sleeve? … it’s a good case!
But Curious? How to use it?
1. An Artist’s idea
Do you know that every year 150,000 rolls of bubble wrap (if not more) are used in the art world. It is huge, massive, and dramatic! In 2009, the Dutch artist Yolanda Philippens found a new concept with Biyomap Protective Sleeves. She was looking for a solution to reduce the massive piles of bubbles wrap at each art fair and she had the idea to create Biyomap! In search of environmentally friendly solutions, I took a close interest in Biyomap. Reusable and space-saving packaging for paintings and all framed artworks, Biyomap replaces bubble wrap and protects the paintings during storage or transport.
2. Biyomap | Key features
- Dutch brand.
- Lightweight, sturdy polyester fabric , not waterproof.
- Acid free fabric, dust and lightproof, scratch resistant.
- Micro-perforated fabric that prevents mold
- Sleeves available in 10 sizes according to colour
- 2 openings (top + side) for very large sizes
- Velcro fastening, seam finish.
3. In Amylee’s Studio
3 of my paintings have been selected for a photo shoot not far from where I live. It is up to me to bring them and get them to the photographer’s studio.
If we compare the materials necessary for 3 paintings, we can very quickly see differences.
- Paper Bubble side: I need a lot of footage of plastic, tape and also scissors.
- Biyomap side: I need 3 sleeves and foam corners
For each sleeve, I make my own label with an A4 sheet (logo, picture of the painting, title and size) and I slip it into transparent window for important information.
So I’ll pack my first painting. (I thank the “Lovely Monroe” for accompanying me with this demonstration.)
After using foam corners on the four corners of the painting, I slip it into the sleeve (Photos above). I close with the flap with velcro strips. And voilà, it’s packed! The painting is now ready!
5. Use and review
- Easy and ready to pack and unpack.
- Easy storage, protection of artworks in 2D (studio) and travel (galleries, exhibitions, photoshoots).
- Do not stick to varnished surfaces like bubble wrap can.
- Possibility of placing 2 painting in 1 sleeve back to back.
- Clever transparent window to include a label, flyers or business cards
- Space-saving when the sleeve is empty because it folds, rolls and stows easily.
- 100% recyclable and made with 50% recycled material
- Contributes to the reduction of waste on the planet (eco-friendly)
- Much more presentable and elegant than bubble wrap.
To conclude, I love it!
The 3 paintings are packed in the same way in their protective sleeve … Go, it’s photo shoot time!
6. Did you know?
Biyomap protective sleeves can be used for mailing or shipping but be careful, it is not enough to protect effectively. This kind of envelope replaces bubble wrap only, so always add a thick cardboard box or a wooden box to face risks during shipping. Think about it!
Find all Amylee’s posts published in GreatArt online Magazine by clicking here!
GreatArt – your art superstore
Art supplies, ideas and advice for all techniques.
GreatArt offers you art supplies for all techniques from:
- traditional fine art painting,
- graphic art,
- model making…
We offer an extensive range of stretched canvas and display products for exhibition, all the art supplies required to create your own bespoke canvases, as well as custom framing and mounting services from GreatArt Store. You’ll also find hundreds of articles and tutorials to browse in the online magazine.