Calling all East London Arts Kickers!
Founded by Hackney based mum of three, Angie Gough (@TheArtsCrusader), the #ArtKickers Awards is designed to celebrate the unsung heroes of East London’s iconic arts scene as well as young, emerging talent in the area.
In 2016, motivated by the alarming statistic that 41% of kids in Hackney live in poverty, Angie started what has evolved to become a crusade against the poverty divide in the borough – via the arts. The arts, both having access to and knowledge of, was identified by Arts Council England as a recurring trend that impacts upon poverty levels in an area.
To mark the one anniversary of her arts crusade, Angie has teamed up with LoveEast magazine to organise the #Artskickers Awards. A platform to “celebrate and reward people and organisations whose hard work, dedication, passion, slog and effort inspires communities to engage in and with the arts (across all disciplines) in East London.”
Awards founder Angie Gough says, “The #Artskickers Awards will celebrate the people working at grassroots, fighting to make sure everyone gets the chance to experience the benefits that participation in the arts brings. Perfect timing in the face of persistent cuts to arts funding and increasing business rates in East London, that are driving the creative lifeblood of our communities further out of the capital.”
There are six categories that can be entered, covering everyone from creative business owners, arts teachers, venues, galleries, workshop facilitators to arty kids and future artists. There are also some fantastic prizes on offer including art materials vouchers from GreatArt.
- Community Superhero Award – for an exceptional individual, group, specific project or organisation working within the community to encourage arts participation
- Kickstarter Award – for a person or organisation who enables emerging artists to pursue a career in the arts
- Smartist Award – for a person or organisation who’s really smart and innovative when it comes to running a creative business
- Best Arts Teacher Award – a school, home or extra-curricular teacher, anyone who works to share their knowledge and experience of an arts discipline with others
- Chief Artskicker Award – a professional artist who, through their artistic endeavours, inspires others to engage with the arts
- Future Artists – we’re encouraging children and young people to create some public art in their local community and tell us about it by posting a picture or video and tagging #FutureArtskickers
The judging panel is made up of high profile East London dwellers including artists Gavin Turk & Deborah Curtis, street-artist Zabou, Olivier Award winners actress Denise Gough and singer Sharon D. Clarke MBE, Poet Lemn Sissay MBE, musician Renell Shaw from Rudimental and John Mulholland, editor of The Observer.
How to enter:
Entry is via the website at www.artskickersawards.com
Nominees are welcome from all arts backgrounds – Visual Arts, Music, Drama, Literature, Dance…
Nominees will be living and/or working in the East London boroughs of Hackney, Tower Hamlets, Newham, Barking & Dagenham, Havering, Waltham Forest & Redbridge
Nominees can enter themselves or be nominated by someone who loves them
Winners will be chosen by a mixture of public votes (via a website) and an expert judging panel
Winners will be announced in a ceremony in Hackney on March 29, 2017
Entry deadline is 9.30am, Monday March 6.